Another year is in the books and we’re celebrating as we reflect on this historical year of 2022. Year-end reflections are a great way to take inventory of the past year, note our progress, and plan for what we want to achieve in the coming year.
As I shared our lessons for the year, below are some steps you can follow to review your year:
- Schedule time to reflect on your schedule: Consider it a non-negotiable as you close out the year. This could be an hour, a day, or even a weekend depending on how much time you have. The key is to find a time that works for you and that you can focus on your reflection without distractions and interruptions.
- Prepare yourself for success: Gather any materials you might need beforehand depending on how you like to reflect. This could include a journal, a notebook, a pen, or even a blank piece of paper. I highly suggest having any calendars, planners, or other materials that can help you recall what happened during the past year.
- Account for the highs: Start by thinking about the highlights of the year. What were the things that went well? What were the things you’re most proud of? What were the things that made you happy? It’s important to start with the positives, as this can help set a positive tone for your reflection.
- Count on the feedback: After thinking about the highlights, it’s important to also think about the challenges of the year. Here at Fit To Profit, we call this feedback What were the things that didn’t go as well as you would have liked? What were the difficult things? What were the things that you struggled with the most? It’s important, to be honest, and open when thinking about the challenges of the year, and consider the lessons learned so you can use them to improve in the coming year. Count on this feedback so you can make necessary changes to ensure you achieve more results as well.
- Reflect on your goals and acknowledge your progress: Take some time to think about the goals you set for yourself at the beginning of the year. Did you achieve them? Why or why not? Most importantly, what progress did you make toward your goals? Thinking about your goals and progress can help you understand what worked and what didn’t, and can help you set better goals that are more aligned with who you are and what’s important to you.
- List 3 things that you want to do differently in the coming year: After reflecting on the past year: What changes do you want to make? What do you want to do more of? What do you want to do less of? What makes you happy? What brings you joy? It’s essential to think about these things as they can help you set more specific goals.
- Lastly, write down your reflections: You may have been writing down everything all along, but if not, after you’ve thought about the highlights, feedback, goals, and changes you want to make, write them all down. This helps you organize your thoughts and provide you with a record of your reflections that you can refer to in the future. It’s a great tracker of your progress year-to-year.
Overall, year-end reflections are important as it helps you set your goals more appropriately for the coming year. It helps you see clearly where you are currently and where you want to go. The more thorough your year-end reflections the better chance you have of achieving your goals next year.
We hope you had an amazing year regardless of the outcome. It is all about the journey and staying steadfast in the process. Your vision is waiting to be expressed through you. Keep up the good work. Happy holidays!